History of New Port Presbyterian Church
Where did we come from?
New Port Presbyterian Church has long been a center for worship in the community. The church was organized on January 7th, 1844 as a member congregation of the Presbyterian Church U.S. (Southern Presbyterian Church) and of the Old School, requiring that its ministers be educated overseas rather than in the United States. New Port is quite possibly the oldest church in Franklin County that has never moved or closed its doors. The main sanctuary was built in 1854, with bricks fired on the church grounds. In 1992, the congregation added a fellowship hall and remodeled the main sanctuary.
In 1983 it became apparent to the congregation that the Presbyterian Church U.S. was preparing to merge with its sister denomination, the Presbyterian Church of the United States of America (P.C.U.S.A.). The congregation strongly disagreed with the P.C.U.S.A. teaching concerning abortion and felt the P.C.U.S.A. did not teach the Bible as God's Word. The membership voted unanimously to withdraw from the P.C.U.S., and, later that year, joined the Presbyterian Church in America (P.C.A.) The P.C.A. was begun by churches who withdrew from the P.C.U.S. for the same reasons. We are a small, friendly, Bible-believing church and invite you to come worship with us and see for yourself.